Portsmouth Ferry Services
Portsmouth has multiple ferry destinations across France, Spain and the Channel Islands. Ideal for both short breaks and longer holidays.
French destinations are Caen, Cherbourg, Le Havre and St Malo. Bilbao in Spain, and Jersey and Guernsey in the Channel Islands. Services are run by Brittany Ferries, Condor Ferries, LD Lines and P&O Ferries.
Brittany Ferries serve Caen, Cherbourg and St Malo in France, and Santander in Northern Spain.
On the Portsmouth to Caen route, there are up to 4 crossings per day. Passengers on this route have a choice of either our high speed service taking you into the heart of northern France in just 3 ¾ hours, or a classic cruise ferry on which you can enjoy fine dining, excellent shopping and comfortable cabins on your crossing to France taking around 6 hours.
Brittany Ferries run a high speed daily service between Portsmouth and Cherbourg in just 3 hours from the 1st April to 2nd November 2009. From Cherbourg the motorway takes you to a network of major roads for destinations in Brittany, the Loire, and further south.
A daily return trip operates from Portsmouth to St Malo, travelling overnight on the outward leg from Portsmouth. Journey time 9 hours during the daytime outwards from St Malo, and 10¾ hours overnight from Portsmouth. St Malo is ideally located for travelling quickly all parts of Brittany and Normandy, plus the popular holiday destinations of the Atlantic coast, the Loire and the Dordogne.
Brittany Ferries are introducing a weekly ferry service from Portsmouth to Santander in Northern Spain from mid-March 2009, using their luxurious flagship the mv Pont-Aven. The journey time is 24 hours, and it is possible to mix and match on this route with a return to Plymouth rather than Portsmouth.
Search all Brittany Ferries and Portsmouth ferry timetables, and make bookings using the following form:
Portsmouth to Cherbourg, Jersey and Guernsey. Click on the graphic below to visit the Condor Ferries site.
LD Lines are the operator for the Portsmouth to Le Havre route, with generally 2 return sailings per day and taking between 5 hours and a half and 8 hours depending upon the sailing. Le Havre is at the mouth of the River Seine. The Normandy Bridge links Le Havre to the rest of France with Le Havre being about 150 miles from Paris.
Search all LD Lines and Portsmouth ferry timetables, and make bookings using the following form:
Key facts about Portsmouth International Port
1. Portsmouth International Port offers more destinations than any other UK Port, with regular sailings to: Caen, Cherbourg, Le Havre, St Malo, Santander, Bilbao, Jersey and Guernsey.
2. There are around 3300 ferry sailings a year, carrying 2.2 million passengers and 260,000 freight units.
3. Ferry companies operating out of Portsmouth International Port are Brittany Ferries, LD Lines and Condor Group.
4. Portsmouth International Port entered the cruise market in 2001. Since then the business has gone from strength to strength. By the end of 2012, there will have been 34 cruise ships visiting Portsmouth.
5. Portsmouth International Port is the UK’s premier Port for the Western Channel and second busiest cross Channel ferry port.