The Alps, one of the largest and highest mountain ranges in Europe, cover most of the delightful country that is Austria. That said, Austria is a very sought after destination indeed when it comes to skiing. Austria’s ski resorts are certainly worth writing home about. Here are just a few.
Hinterglemm Ski Resort
Hinterglemm, Austria by
Hinterglemm is a charming Alpine town, situated in the Austrian state of Salzburg. Tucked snugly between two valleys, Hinterglemm boasts the most gorgeous surroundings. The ski resort itself is part of the impressive Ski Circus Ski area, which includes two other resorts Leogang and Saalbach. Hinterglemm is the more challenging of the three, making it popular with intermediate skiers.
Hinterglemm Ski Resort’s Highlights
– Myriad of cosy bars and inviting restaurants
– Always within easy reach of many of the lifts
– Besides skiing, plenty of other activities thrown in the mix, like tobogganing and snowboarding
– Just a stone’s throw away from Saalbach. Home to a picturesque village centre lined with chic boutiques and homely cafés, Saalbach is well worth a visit
Ellmau Ski Resort
Funicular from Ellmau by James Preston
This delightful ski resort is found between the Kitzbüheler Alps and the magnificent Wilder Kaiser mountains. A ski resort with plenty to shout about, Ellmau has over 250km of pistes and is part of the SkiWelt circuit, one of Austria’s largest interconnected ski areas. The SkiWelt circuit has even had the honour of being awarded the title of ‘Best Ski Resort in the World’. Now that’s something. Beginner and family friendly, Ellmau Ski Resort offers the perfect place when it comes to learning to ski.
Ellmau Ski Resort Highlights
– One of the quietest of Austria’s ski resorts
– Fantastic nursery slopes and a really good ski school
– With a focus on the beginner and family market, Ellmau also has areas for intermediate skiers
– Traditional Austrian village with a selection of shops, bars and cafes
Ischgl Ski Resort
Zentrum Ischgl by Marcel Prinoth
A stunning ski resort, Ischgl is nestled in the Paznaun Valley in Tyrol. Sitting at over 1300m, boasting a vertical drop of nearly 1500m and a whopping 348km of runs, Ischgl is a ski resort that far from disappoints. Skiers going on holiday here can look forward to an exhilarating experience from start to finish. One of those places you can’t help but fall in love with straightaway, Ischgl has won countless awards – says it all really.
Ischgl Ski Resort Highlights:
– Challenging range of pistes
– Fun filled snow parks like the PlayStation Vita Ischgl Snow Park
– Innovative lift and cable car systems – hardly any waiting around!
– Lively après ski scene
And, if the above weren’t enough, the resort also plays host to open-air concerts with global stars like Elton John. Embark on a ski holiday to Ischgl Ski Resort, and one thing’s for sure, you’re in for an amazing time.